11th Annual NEWPORT BEACH JAZZ PARTY
Presidents’ Day Weekend, February 17-20, 2011, will again be the time for mainstream jazz lovers from around the country (& world) to arrive in Newport Beach for “Right Down The Middle And Straight Ahead” Jazz at the Marriott Newport Beach Hotel & Spa. The party will again center on a large stage nightly at 7:00pm (Thursday at 8:00pm) with reserved seating providing a near perfect mix of concert conditions and intimacy of a club setting, all in the Grand Pacific Ballroom.
Highlights of this 11h Annual jazz lover’s weekend –
· Thursday’s Grand Opening Night will kick off the weekend with the Ken Peplowski Quartet followed by the Larry Fuller Trio and concluding with John Pizzarelli’s Tribute to Duke Ellington- Rockin’ In Rhythm with Swing Seven featuring Jeff Hamilton.
· Friday evening will begin with an All-Star set lead by trombonist Dan Barrett and feature Claudio Roditi-trumpet, Houston Person-tenor sax, Anat Cohen-clarinet, Eric Reed-piano, Christoph Luty-bass and Paul Kreibich-drums. The second of 4 sessions will feature tenor man Scott Hamilton along with Benny Green on piano, Chuck Berghofer on bass and Lewis Nash on drums. For the first time at the party - San Francisco vocalist Kim Nalley will take the stage together with party veteran Houston Person. Rounding out the night will be a return of the popular Jeff Hamilton Trio!
· Claudio Roditi will open Saturday night’s sessions with an All-Star group featuring Scott Hamilton, Eric Reed, Christophy Luty and Jeff Hamilton. The second session will bring together Yellowjackets’ famed tenor player Bob Mintzer along with party favorite flutist Holly Hofmann and the rhythm section of Benny Green, Chuck Berghofer and Lewis Nash. Set #3 will for the first time at the party feature famed lyricist Alan Bergman and bringing the evening to a close will be an All-Star set featuring Anat Cohen, Downbeat Magazine’s Annual Critics Poll Jazz Artist Rising Star together with Ken Peplowski!
· Sunday night will open with one of the most recorded drummers in jazz- Lewis Nash followed by a solo set by pianist Benny Green. Joining Benny for the next session will be bassist John Clayton and drummer Jeff Hamilton! The third set will feature the Ken Peplowski Quartet with Tom Ranier on piano, bassist Chuck Berghofer and Jeff Hamilton on drums. Bringing the weekend to a swingin’close will be Frank Sinatra, Jr. and his 20 piece orchestra under the direction of Terry Woodson!
· Featured at this year’s Pool Sessions (Friday, Saturday and Sunday from 12 noon until 3:30pm), among 9 great sessions, will be the latin and Brazilian sounds of the Scott Martin Band; big band standards of the Blue Note Swing Orchestra with guest Dan Barrett; USC Thornton Jazz Orchestra directed by Bob Mintzer; B3 organist Atsuko Hashimoto with Jeff Hamilton and guitarist Graham Dechter and the Dave Tull Trio. Other highlights include All-Star sets lead by Bill Cunliffe, Holly Hofmann/Anat Cohen and Claudio Roditi/Gilbert Castellanos.
· Additionally, two Champagne Brunches will be offered starring legendary trumpeter Jack Sheldon on Saturday and a return performance by the popular Barbara Morrison and Houston Person on Sunday. Also appearing at the Saturday Brunch will be the Eric Reed Trio plus Scott Hamilton and on Sunday the Adam Schroeder Quartet!
Tickets are now available for the complete four night, three-day package including one Champagne Brunch. Prices are $350/375. Individual reserved seats are priced at $60/$75 for evening performances and $40/50 for the Grand Opening Sessions, $30 each for “Friday, Saturday & Sunday By the Pool” and $50 for each Jazz Brunch. For tickets to the 11th Annual Newport Beach Jazz Party, call the Jazzline at 949.759.5003 or for complete artist appearance times and an order form visit their website.