Jam Cruise Celebrates 10th Sailing, Announces Artist Lineup
Few music gatherings can offer adventure in addition to entertainment, but Jam Cruise is a different EXPERIENCE than any other music event out there. Where else can one see the sunrise over a Caribbean island as you sing “You Are My Sunshine” with fifty strangers and roaming troubadours? See a herd of zebra-striped party people stampede down gangways? Hobnob with the inventors of funk and rock while they too have the time of their lives? Watch the best musicians on earth while percolating in a hot tub under blue skies on the open sea? The answer: nowhere else besides Jam Cruise!
The 10th sailing of Jam Cruise will be January 9 – 14, 2012, leaving from Ft. Lauderdale, FL and traveling to Labadee, Haiti and Falmouth, Jamaica before turning homeward. Once again, the MSC Poesia will be home to Jam Cruise 10. Cabins go on sale to the public Tuesday, May 24, 2011 at noon EST. Anyone who pre-booked will be able to book according to their assigned booking time beginning on May 11, 2011.
The10th sailing features long time live music favorites, emerging talent from the jam world and surprises around every corner, including an opportunity to give back to our global community.
Jam Cruise 10 Music Lineup
Keller & the Keels
Bruce Hornsby & the Noisemakers
Toots & the Maytals
Karl Denson's Tiny Universe
The New Deal (final performance)
Trombone Shorty & Orleans Avenue
7 Walkers feat. Bill Kreutzmann, Papa Mali, Matt Hubbard & George Porter, Jr. w/ Steve Kimock
The New Mastersounds
Shpongle (Simon Posford DJ Set)
Dirty Dozen Brass Band
Break Science w/ Chali 2na
George Porter & the Runnin' Pardners
Surprise Me Mr. Davis
Dead Kenny G's
The Heavy Pets
A Tribute to Sly & the Family Stone w/ Ivan Neville, Eric Krasno, Ian Neville, Adam Deitch, Nick Daniels & Nigel Hall
Tony Hall Super Jam
The Everyone Orchestra
Col. Bruce Hampton
With this being the 10th sailing, the vibe is set to be more magical than ever when the MSC Poesia departs Florida in January.
10 Great Reasons To Sail With Jam Cruise 10
1. Once in a lifetime musical experiences. The level of interaction between the seasoned legends and up and coming musicians on Jam Cruise 10, particularly in the nightly free-for-all that is The Jam Room, is sure to send folks home with minds blown from the utterly unexpected collaborations.
2. The luxury of having one’s own cabin, 24-hour food and drink, a hot shower and Jam Cruise TV programming that offers up daily photos and live video as the boat sails – all within steps of the music.
3. The beautiful private paradise of Labadee is a safe and remote area owned by Royal Caribbean Cruise Line where lush rolling hills meet the sea. Labadee provides a platform for Jam Cruise to have a conscious beach party with music and fun while being able to give back to the people of Haiti at a time where the need is greater than ever. Positive Legacy is building strategic alliances with several major organizations and capitalizing on the space available on the ship to bring goods and services to benefit the victims of the devastating earthquake.
4. Shipboard workshops that get attendees involved in making music. Past workshops have included Robert Randolph, Steve Kimock and Luther Dickinson offering slide guitar tips, Cornmeal and Greensky Bluegrass leading folks in a classic rock song jam, Taylor Hicks hosting the Gong Show… Who knows what tricks the pros will lay on cruisers this year!
5. A ship full of concert going experts. This mecca for music lovers attracts attendees as dedicated as the programmed entertainment to making the very most of the five days on the water. Moreover, this is one of the most welcoming collections of humanity one could ever encounter. Those new to the Jam Cruise experience are ushered in and aided in their journey before the ship ever leaves port. JamBase wrote of Jam Cruise 9: “There is SO much positive energy, good will and creativity afloat on Jam Cruise that one’s faith in humanity’s potential is rekindled.”
6. The opportunity to visit one of Jamaica’s most interesting cities. Falmouth boasts a newly designed port, some of Jamaica’s earliest architecture and a vibrant market place.
7. Evening piano concerts in the ship’s atrium. The likes of Marco Benevento, ALO’s Zach Gill and WSP’s JoJo Hermann have all tickled the ivories for small, attentive audiences sipping cocktails on the spiral stairwell surrounding the clear-top baby grand.
8. Packed days of music. On days at sea, the action starts in the morning by the pool and doesn’t wrap until well after dawn in the disco, offering Jam Cruisers a chance to sunbathe and splash while marquee talent plays. On port days, the sail away party is always a high energy blast that carries the music into a long night of sets on multiple stages, as well as the Jam Room, disco and impromptu merriment popping off all around.
9. Regular opportunities to revel with one’s musical heroes. On Jam Cruise, the majority of the performers spend their non-stage time enjoying the ship’s thriving, loving community and many amenities. If you’ve always longed to shake the hand of the folks who make the music that informs your life, Jam Cruise is a chance to live that dream.
10. Shipboard activities and contests that let attendees be the star. From a yearly Talent Show to costume contests, Jam Cruise regularly shifts the spotlight to cruisers, giving them a forum to shine as they get their groove on!
In honor of the 10th sailing, Jam Cruise is embracing the opportunity to explore new places. Positive Legacy, the nonprofit organization whose goal is to leverage the power in the music industry to do good for others, is building strategic alliances with several major organizations and capitalizing on the space available on the ship to bring goods and services to benefit the people of this beautiful island nation. Positive Legacy has been a part of every Jam Cruise since 2004, bridging together musicians, fans and the greater global community in the places visited on all of Cloud 9’s adventures. Over the years they have serviced areas including: Costa Maya, Mexico; Roatan, Honduras; Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands; a remote area in Belize; Turks & Caicos; and various places in Jamaica.
Attendees are encouraged to express the communal spirit of Jam Cruise by supporting the relief efforts and contributing to the most significant outreach to date. Stay tuned for big announcements as this project develops...
Pre-Cruise Shows, featuring 2 nights w/ Umphrey’s McGee
Get ready for Jam Cruise 10 with two nights of Umphrey's McGee at Revolution Live! The shows will take place January 7th and 8th in downtown Ft. Lauderdale, just minutes from Port Everglades. Umphrey's McGee will be joined on the 7th by Toubab Krewe, and on the 8th by The New Mastersounds.