August 9, 2010 marked the 15-year anniversary of legendary musician and Grateful Dead co-founder Jerry Garcia 's death. As a way to honor his musical and community legacy, the gifted musicians on this compilation have generously contributed stirring live performances of Jerry Garcia songs to benefit the Rex Foundation. Available August 10 in a variety of formats (see below), Jerry Jams for Rex was brought to life by Brad Serling of nugs.net and includes four exclusive previously unreleased live Garcia songs from Phish, Bruce Hornsby & The Noisemakers, The String Cheese Incident, and Keller & The Keels. Other artists featured on the album include The Black Crowes, Railroad Earth, Yonder Mountain String Band and more. All proceeds are a contribution to the Rex Foundation.
Furthering what Jerry Garcia and the Grateful Dead started 26 years ago, the Rex Foundation, a non-profit charitable organization, endeavors to fund grassroots programs that are often under the radar of larger funding entities, yet work in bold, innovative ways to carry out essential work toward a healthy environment, promotion of the arts, protection of indigenous cultures, assisting others less fortunate, building strong communities, and educating children and adults. The Rex Foundation has distributed $8.6 million in grants to over 1,000 programs across the U.S. and internationally, while also carrying out fundraising initiatives that foster creativity and positive community connections. Visit www.rexfoundation.org for a complete list of grantees and information about current initiatives.
Jerry Jams for Rex is possible because of the honorable contributions of music, resources and know-how of the participating artists and people involved in the initiative. The Rex Foundation extends its heartfelt thanks and appreciation for the generosity of spirit and action of all the people involved in creating Jerry Jams for Rex, as well as to all the people who purchase the compilation. Together, we honor Jerry Garcia and demonstrate the positive power of music and community spirit.
1. Bruce Hornsby & The Noisemakers - Lady With A Fan (7/25/2009 - The Biltmore, Asheville, NC) *
2. The String Cheese Incident - Eyes of the World (8/1/2001 - Greek Theatre, Los Angeles, CA) *
3. Railroad Earth - Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo (7/29/2006 - Stone Pony, Asbury Park, NJ)
4. The Black Crowes - Sugaree (8/1/2006 LC Pavilion, Columbus, OH)
5. Moonalice - Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad (7/22/2010 - The Silvermoon Brewery, Bend, OR) **
6. Yonder Mountain String Band - Reuben And Cherise (12/31/2009 - Fillmore Auditorium, Denver, CO)
7. The Waybacks - Dupree's Diamond Blues (4/26/2007 - Watson Stage, MerleFest, NC)
8. Widespread Panic - Cream Puff War (7/26/2010 Tennessee Theatre, Knoxville, TN)
9. Keller & The Keels - Mountains of the Moon (6/17/2010-Telluride Bluegrass Festival, Telluride, CO) *
10. Hot Buttered Rum - Cumberland Blues (3/21/2009 - Crocodile Cafe, Seattle, WA) **
11. Steve Kimock Crazy Engine - Stella Blue (7/25/2009 - Regency Ballroom, San Francisco, CA) **
12. Phish - Terrapin Station (8/9/1998 - Virginia Beach Amphitheatre, Virginia Beach, VA) *
* previously unreleased, exclusive to Jerry Jams
** bonus download only tracks, not on the CD