DJ YODA U.K. Turntablist 'DJ Yoda & Friends'
Audio-visual turntablist extraordinaire DJ YODA is set to release a brand new five-track EP entitled DJ YODA & FRIENDS out March 7, 2011 via A.Skillz’ Jam City label in North America. Taken from his exclusive album sessions, the EP follows DJ YODA’s groundbreaking Stop, Look & Listen Tour which saw him mashing audio and visual elements across the U.K., conquering various venues including the celebrated British Film Institute IMAX in London.
DJ YODA is no ordinary scratch DJ. His seminal How To Cut & Paste series showcased a tongue-in-cheek mixing style that prompted Q magazine in his native Britain to declare him “one of the ten DJs to see before you die,” while Hip Hop Connection voted him “one of the top three DJs in the world.” American gaming enthusiasts may be familiar with him as a contributor to ‘DJ Hero,’ for which he collaborated with its designers, contributing his expertise to the look of the game. It also features two of his mixes and a DJ Yoda level.
From hip-hop beginnings, DJ YODA has evolved in the past ten years, using his turntable skills and diverse influences as varied as funk, b-more, kuduro, reggae, drum ‘n’ bass and even big band swing and country & western to make unashamed party music. On the DJ YODA & FRIENDS EP— the follow-up to his 2006 debut album The Amazing Adventures Of DJ Yoda, where he produced tracks with Biz Markie, 2005 MOBO-winner Sway, Princess Superstar, Jungle Brothers, MC Paul Barman and a host of other vocalists—the master producer teams with a unique cast of characters. Rappers Izza Kizza, a vocalist from super-producer Timbaland's stable, and Gotty Boi Chris, a key figure in the very hot New Orleans Bounce scene, and DJ/producers A.Skillz, Hervé and Nick Thayer are DJ YODA’s cohorts on these five brand new tracks
A-Skillz has done it all from plying his turntable abilities at clubs and festivals across the world to producing his own tracks and helping mould others. Similarly, Joshua “Hervé” Harvey has created club smashes under various guises and collaborated with some of the most exciting players in the scene, including Fatboy Slim to create 2010’s “Machines will do the Work.” Nick Thayer is an Australian DJ/Producer who has already won the support of Kissy Sell Out (Radio 1), the Stanton Warriors and Utah Saints amongst others, off the back of his debut album which he released in May, Just Let It Go.
On stage, DJ YODA can be found cutting the “Indiana Jones” theme with woofer-worrying dubstep or “The Muppet Show” theme with M.IA. His shows are peppered with film, TV and YouTube samples and visuals that lift his sets to new and stratospheric heights. His live repertoire—which U.S. audiences will get to experience this spring when he comes over to tour—has him trail-blazing into the world of the audio-visual. DJ YODA pioneered a new art form, using cutting-edge technology that he’s been instrumental in developing to scratch and mix visuals on top of his DJ sets in the clubs.
Starting out by re-scoring both “The Goonies” and “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off” on the festival circuit in 2003 and 2004, DJ YODA went on to transform the average night out into a fusion of clubbing and the movies. His recent audio/visual tours have included “DJ Yoda Goes To The Movies,” “Magic Cinema Show” and “National Video Vacation.” Elements of his most recent outing with his “Stop Look And Listen” show can be found here.
Recent highlights for DJ Yoda include:
- Selling out London’s Koko on his critically acclaimed ‘Magic Cinema Show’ tour.
- Performing alongside the likes of Amy Winehouse, Mark Ronson and Fatboy Slim.
- Being nominated for a Sony Radio Award in the ‘Music Special’ category for his "Cut & Paste" documentary for BBC Radio 1.
- Winning the Contemporary Classical Album of 2009 at the Independent Music Awards for the Heritage Orchestra feat DJ Yoda's G. Prokofiev Concerto For Turntables & Orchestra.
- Producing an hour-long music documentary for BBC Radio 1’s 40th birthday, mixing-up highlights of their history as part of their official anniversary celebrations.
- Releasing the critically acclaimed Fabric Live 39 mix CD.
- Working with Dame Evelyn Glennie on a genre-defying collaborative live show.
- Mixing up the Champions League highlights for ITV’s Champions League Final.
- Performing with Lily Allen providing exclusive visuals.
- Creating a special Michael Jackson tribute Mini-Mix for Annie Mac’s Radio 1 show
- DJ’ing to packed-out clubs everywhere from China to Brazil to Australia.
- Playing on the same bill as Steve Martin, Dave Chappelle and Chris Rock at the HBO Comedy Festival in Las Vegas.
Showcasing a one-off AV mix at the DMC 25th Anniversary Championships, detailing the competition’s incredible highs from the past quarter of a century in his own inimitable style.