Broken Hearts & Dirty Windows: Songs of John Prine, Vol. 2, the anticipated new John Prine tribute record from Oh Boy Records, is out today. Stream/purchase HERE.
Created as a celebration of Prine’s life and career, the album features new renditions of some of Prine’s most beloved songs performed by Brandi Carlile (“I Remember Everything”), Tyler Childers (“Yes I Guess They Oughta Name A Drink After You”), Iris DeMent (“One Red Rose”), Emmylou Harris (“Hello In There”), Jason Isbell (“Souvenirs”), Valerie June (“Summer’s End”), Margo Price (“Sweet Revenge”), Bonnie Raitt (“Angel From Montgomery”), Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats (“Pretty Good”), Amanda Shires (“Saddle in the Rain”), Sturgill Simpson(“Paradise”) and John Paul White (“Sam Stone”). Proceeds from the album will benefit twelve different non-profit organizations, one selected by each of the featured artists.
The release adds to an esteemed legacy for Prine, whose last recorded song, “I Remember Everything,” was recently named Song of the Year at the 2021 Americana Music Association Honors & Awards and won two awards at the 63rd GRAMMY Awards earlier this year: Best American Roots Song and Best American Roots Performance. Written by Prine and his longtime collaborator Pat McLaughlin, “I Remember Everything” is Prine’s first #1 single and was recorded by Grammy Award-winning producer Dave Cobb and engineer Gena Johnson. Moreover, Prine’s beloved self-titled debut album recently celebrated its 50th anniversary (purchase here).
In celebration of the milestone, Oh Boy Records, which is celebrating its 40th anniversary this year, will release a limited-edition box set, “John Prine Plays John Prine,” this spring—a special live recording of the only time Prine performed his debut record front to back (pre-order here). Recorded during AmericanaFest in 2016, the box set—created by the Grammy Award-winning Dodds Sisters—will include a CD, vinyl and DVD version of the performance, with a portion of all proceeds benefitting the Americana Music Association Foundation.
BROKEN HEARTS & DIRTY WINDOWS: SONGS OF JOHN PRINE, VOL. 2
1. “I Remember Everything” performed by Brandi Carlile
2. “Pretty Good” performed by Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats
3. “Saddle in the Rain” performed by Amanda Shires
4. “Yes I Guess They Oughta Name A Drink After You” performed by Tyler Childers
5. “Sweet Revenge” performed by Margo Price
6. “Summer’s End” performed by Valerie June
7. “Souvenirs” performed by Jason Isbell
8. “Angel From Montgomery” performed by Bonnie Raitt
9. “Sam Stone” performed by John Paul White
10. “One Red Rose” performed by Iris DeMent
11. “Hello In There” performed by Emmylou Harris
12. “Paradise” performed by Sturgill Simpson