Celebrating one of the most pivotal entries in the history of great British rock and prog albums, Wishbone Ash’s legendary LP “Argus” gets a 50th Anniversary multi-format Box Set release on 14 April 2023 through Madfish.
Complete with its indelible Hipgnosis designed album sleeve, 1972’s “Argus” saw Wishbone Ash (Andy Powell, Martin Turner, Steve Upton & Ted Turner) mix hard rock, blues, folk and elements of prog to create an anthemic album of resounding quality. “Argus” was the group’s third studio LP and undoubtedly the classic album within the band’s ‘70s canon. It is not only the biggest selling album of their career, featuring the beloved fan-favorite “Blowin’ Free”, but full of memorable and timeless tunes such as “The King Will Come”, “Time Was”, “Warrior” and “Throw Down The Sword”. Widely considered a vital moment in the progression of twin-lead guitar harmonization, Andy Powell and Ted Turner’s pioneering twin lead attack left an indelible stamp on the likes of Thin Lizzy, Iron Maiden, Metallica and Lynyrd Skynyrd. It was also a technique deployed by Steely Dan for their own 1972 hit “Reelin’ In The Years”.
Watch the trailer for “Argus 50th Anniversary” box set here: https://youtu.be/cWfpNMAdj8k
Madfish are now proud to present the most complete edition of this album to date. Each “Argus 50th Anniversary” Box Set contains:
· 3 CDs: Martin Turner’s “Argus” remaster, “Live at The Alexandra Palace 1973 & Memphis 1972”. Also features 4 previously unreleased early version demos.
· 2 LPs: Original “Argus” replica, remastered for this release + “Argus Live” on yellow vinyl (selected recordings from “Alexandra Palace & Memphis”).
· DVD: French & Swiss TV footage, “Live from the Rainbow 1973 & RTS Broadcast from 1974”.
· 7” Red vinyl Single of “Blowin’ Free”.
· Featuring a 48-page book with rare photographs and extensive liner notes with contributions from Andy Powell, Martin Turner & Steve Upton.
· Numbered certificate of authenticity
Pre Orders available here: https://WishboneAshMadfish.lnk.to/argus50